Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

N is for Niyamas

One of the eight-limb paths of Yoga are the Niyamas.
Niyamas are the five observances.
Those observances are:  Sauca which is purity, Santosa which is contentment, Tapas which is  zeal, Swadhyaya which is self study and Isvara-pranidhana which is devotion to a higher power.

As I continue along this path of my year long study of  Meditation from the Mat by Rolf Gates and Kartrina Kenison,  at present the Niyama I am studying is Svadhyaya.

This past week was quite the ride with my meditation in motion.  I dove into using yamuna balls placing them in varies areas of my body that I was holding tension, stress, life imprints and more, then I began my meditation with deep breathing and releasing.  Going really deep into my body and soul.  A thought I share from the Meditation in Motion book is that  an entire universe resonated within me, and the postures and the breath teach me to embrace this universe.  The postures and the breath form a bridge between the wisdom of the mind and the wisdom of the body.

Svadhyaya,  self-study and the study of self, has many aspects.  It is a practice in truthfulness, it is to be open to inspiration where you find it, its humility.  It is the moment in our journey when we let go of results and wholeheartedly embrace the process.
I just recently had a conversation with my father and shared with him I felt I was a student of life.  I continue to study and learn more everyday.  Every little bit of wisdom is precious.


  My nightly view;  perfect for study of self through meditation!

Take time this week for yourself.   What will you find in your study of self?

No comments:

Post a Comment